[aix thinkpad] Non-US keyboards

Stefan Tibus sjti at gmx.net
Sun May 18 17:01:39 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 30 12:18:36 CDT 2003, emeric.maschino at jouy.inra.fr
wrote:
>Hi again,
>Are there people having a non-US keyboard layout on their ThinkPad
>Power Series 800 (model 6020-xxx), 850 (model 6042-xxx or 7247-xxx)
>or RS/6000 Notebook 860 (model 7249-860)? The cases are similar,
>so I suppose these models share the same keyboard part. If any, can
>you send me the FRU or part number? IBM France is unable to find
>anything on the PPC ThinkPad.
>
>Thanks again.
>        Emeric

Salut Emeric!

I just acquired a Notebook 7249-860 and it has a german keyboard!
Here's what the label says:
P/N 45H8730              Manufactured for IBM
FRU 29H8111              by KeyTronic
ID# 000292               Made in U.S.
June 28, 1996            E139948 RA
Plt.# KTC1           Model U04054GR
            <bar code>
1MBTA000292          IBM Model M6-1

I also have an 7007-N40 with german layout and the keyboard looks
just the same (however it's not as easy to open the case, so I
don't know the part numbers).

Hope this helps.

cu,
Stefan

P.S. If you'd ever throw away the U.S.Keyboard, I'd take it.