[aix thinkpad] IBM Thinkpad PowerSeries 820

Juergen E. Fischer fischer at linux-buechse.de
Sat May 29 11:34:15 CDT 2004

Hi there,

I finally managed to get an IBM Thinkpad PowerSeries.  Mine is a model
820.

It just has a CD-ROM drive, but neither floppy nor harddisk - even the
disk caddy is missing.  But I hooked up an external disk and installed
AIX 4.2, which worked just fine.

The battery pack seems dead too - maybe I'll try the cell replacement
procedure at some point...

Is there any documentation left anywhere for the box?  The links on the
website all seem to be dead.  Did somebody make local copies in time?

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to do a firmware upgrade without a floppy drive?

2. I'll get a ide-to-scsi-adapter rsn, so I'd like to know the pin
   assignment of the disk socket.  Or does the caddy contain more than
   just a mounting frame, wiring and the plug?

3. The website just mentions 10base PCMCIA adapters.  I just found a
   supplier for a 100baseT adapter, who claims that it works with the
   820 (the 10baseT adapter seems to be out of stock there).  Can that
   be true?  What would the part number of such an adapter be?   Does
   the firmware have network support (e.g. for remote boot)?

4. Does the firmware have a command line interface like OF or PPCBug?

Juergen