[aix thinkpad] IBM Thinkpad PowerSeries 820

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Mon May 31 03:52:41 CDT 2004

On 30 May, Stefan Tibus wrote:

> Well, I connected an external CD-ROM (thanks to SCSI) to do the

It will boot from a non-IBM external SCSI CD-ROM drive?  I did not know
that.  Do you think there are any limitations on what sort of drives you
can use?  I'll add this info to the site... it would help people without
CD drives.

> installation etc. For playing around with Linux I used a Fujitsu MO
> drive, in HDD mode one may even boot from it (using 512Byte/sector media).

Now that's a neat idea.  I suppose an external SCSI hard disk would also
work?  Will the system allow you to boot from those?  I had never
considered the external aspect before -- although that kind of blows the
portability advantage of having a notebook ;-)

> I have some good news regarding this. Inspired by your questions I
> opened a hard drive caddy/frame (whatever that plastic boxes are

I've added your info to http://www.tecnopolis.ca/aixtp/tphdupg.html .
Check it out to ensure you are happy with my paraphrasing.  Let me know
if you do not want your name listed as credit.