[aix thinkpad] IBM Thinkpad PowerSeries 820

Juergen E. Fischer fischer at linux-buechse.de
Tue Sep 21 05:10:48 CDT 2004

Hi Trevor,

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 03:07:11 -0500, Trevor Cordes wrote:
> I agree with Stefan... it's probably a fairly straight-through caddy. As
> long as you don't mix signal and power (which should all be at one end),
> you should be ok to experiment with wiring without blowing anything up.

> You could try watching ebay for dead or as-is 820/850's that you could
> buy just for the parts.

Beeing unable to find a suitable connector, I had to monitor ebay.  I
found another 820 on ebay.  It's firmware password was lost...

I ripped off disk caddy and memory.

> > I bought it on ebay and it's still on it way...  The picture looks like
> > one from ADTX (http://www.adtx.com/us/conv-SCSI-IDE.html).

> Be sure to let me/us know how this goes as I still don't have any
> definitive reports of success/failure using these things.  I'm also
> curious to see how big a drive the TP will let you use.

Ok.  My 20GB disk and the ADTX adapter fit fine into the caddy.
No problems so far with Linux (didn't try AIX).
The only drawback is, that the adapter limits the disk to 8GB.

Jürgen