[aix thinkpad] anyone still out there?

Stefan sjti at gmx.net
Tue Apr 17 13:05:14 CDT 2018

Hello Cameron.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 10:52:49PM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com>
> To: aixtp at tecnopolis.ca
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 22:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Recently picked up a TP860 and rediscovered this list, so I'm subscribing.
>
> I also have a TP800, but it got fried when I tried to upgrade it with a
> SCSI2SD and it won't boot anymore (error code says the SCSI fuse is open,
> but I'll be damned if I can find where it is on the board). Still, it works
> otherwise and has a beautiful display for a doorstop :P

Frankly speaking this is the first message I see on this list for more
than a year.

I have a TP860 myself, but I didn't turn it on for a while and I will have
to replace the internal batteries. I would not expect a SCSI compliant
converter to fry a controller, but then SCSI has evolved quite a lot since
those laptops were on the market so maybe some eletrical specs have changed
as well. Apart from that I remember there was a size limit - I think it was
8 GB and I don't remember well if it was the limitation of that SCSI to IDE
converter I had or the old SCSI standard itself. So there may be more
trouble on the road to using current storage media. But I have to admit
an SD card would be quite nice - it never occurred to me such a converter
could exist...

cu
Stefan