[TECnewhw] Windows patches

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed Oct 15 16:12:45 CDT 2003

I strongly advise all Windows users to run Windows Updates as soon as
possible.  There are a lot of new fixes and patches that are extremely
critical.  The patches fix holes that allow a hacker to do whatever he
wants on your system JUST BY YOU CLICKING ON A WEB LINK OR VIEWING AN
EMAIL!  I kid you not.  Look for another rash of viruses and worms soon
that will try to exploit these new vulnerabilities.  Make sure you are
not exposed!

Remember, neither Microsoft nor I will ever email you patches directly
nor provide links to the Windows Update site.

To get to Windows Update, goto your Start menu and look for Windows
Update (under XP look in All Programs).  Install everything you see in
"Critical Updates and Service Packs" (it does this by default), and most
(I'd recommend all) of the fixes you see in the "Windows XP" section.  I
usually advise SKIPPING the Driver Updates section as sometimes those
patches can have adverse effects.

Note, the little auto-update bubble-thing that pops up from the taskbar
to notify you of new updates does not ever include the second or third
categories of updates.  That is why I recommend occasionally going into
the Windows Update web page manually to make sure you have everything.