[aix thinkpad] help a new AIXer

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed May 28 03:41:43 CDT 2003

On 28 May, Federico Lucifredi wrote:
> Hello Gentlemen,
>     I am tryng to sep up a thinkpad 850 that has come my way. I have an AIX
> running on it (I believe it to be a 2.x variant), but the media I have are
> 4.2.1.

You almost certainly already have 4.2.x loaded on it.  There is no "AIX
2.x" that will run on the TP:PS.  The lowest is 4.1.3 I believe.

Type  uname -a  at the command prompt and it will tell you the version
number.

Upgrading the system would involve getting a SMS diskette from IBM (see
the links on my web site) and using it to boot from CD.  In most cases
(when done the recommended way) this will wipe everything on your hard
drive and start from scratch.  If you have the root password for the
machine, then I wouldn't bother reloading, unless someone's messed up
the OS before you (pretty hard to do with AIX)!

Have fun.