[aix thinkpad] help a new AIXer

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed May 28 13:28:30 CDT 2003

> Funny you mentioning that. I actaully thought the same (that I had a 4.2.x),
> but uname -a convinced me otherwise....

What version did it say??

> Well, I had a driver problem, but after I installed the new driver the
> system has become unreliable - it boots up to the CDE logon prompt alright,
> but after I log in all I get is a hourglass - forever - on a black
> background.

Hmm, I've seen that before... it was usually a DNS issue.  CDE really
has a cow if DNS lookups can't resolve.  If you leave it for an hour it
should finally let you in if this is the case.  Try being connected to a
working internet connection (LAN/etc) BEFORE logging in. You might have
to boot in single user mode to fix the setup.

> Where on your site Trevor ?I looked around technopolis.ca/aixtp and I found
> lotsa good info, but I seem to have missed this bit....

Looks like you found the SMS disks.  Yes, they are floppies so they
won't help you.  But like Emeric says, you don't really need the floppy
(I always get the TP and DT PS's confused.)  Just hit the boot options
function key right after you turn on the machine but before it boots.  I
can never remember... F2, F4 or F5 I think... maybe F8? ;-)