[aix thinkpad] help a new AIXer

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Wed May 28 13:46:38 CDT 2003

> I cannot read it now, but the original answer was 2.4....

Something's messed up then... or you were reading the wrong field.  CDE
didn't exist in AIX 2!  And AIX 2 for sure won't run on the 850... AIX 2
was 300 years ago!

> Yah -actually I was trying to install one of the CC II IBM PCMCIA Ethernet
> adapters, one that by part number on your page *should* work.

Ah... it probably worked, and now CDE is trying to do DNS lookups.  If
you wait long enough (an hour) you should be able to get in and fix it
up.

> Even if I reload the system, with such an insane lockup in CDE this is not
> going to be fun.

You can configure CDE to not need DNS but it is very tricky and I don't
remember how anymore.  You have to go through the whole CDE startup
process in your mind and remove any places where it may need DNS.  OR
make sure you are connected to a LAN when booting.

NOTE: I'm still just guessing that this is your problem.  It sounds like
it though, and I spent a long time myself years ago solving this one.

NOTE #2: If you can get into CDE, even if you don't fix the DNS problem,
you can then use xpowerm to hibernate the machine instead of turning it
off, then you can still use the machine with no delays without a LAN.

> How do I boot single-user in AIX ?

There *might* be an option in the F4 menu.  If not, then booting from CD
should provide a single-user/recovery option.  Be careful though.

> It appears to be F4 =)

Thanks... I'll have to remember that... maybe add it to my web page!