[aix thinkpad] help a new AIXer

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Wed May 28 14:24:59 CDT 2003

Hell Trevor,
 > You almost certainly already have 4.2.x loaded on it.  There is no "AIX
 > 2.x" that will run on the TP:PS.  The lowest is 4.1.3 I believe.
 >
 > Type  uname -a  at the command prompt and it will tell you the version
 > number.

 Funny you mentioning that. I actaully thought the same (that I had a
4.2.x),
 but uname -a convinced me otherwise....

 > Upgrading the system would involve getting a SMS diskette from IBM (see
 > the links on my web site) and using it to boot from CD.  In most cases
 > (when done the recommended way) this will wipe everything on your hard
 > drive and start from scratch.  If you have the root password for the
 > machine, then I wouldn't bother reloading, unless someone's messed up
 > the OS before you (pretty hard to do with AIX)!

 Well, I had a driver problem, but after I installed the new driver the
 system has become unreliable - it boots up to the CDE logon prompt alright,
 but after I log in all I get is a hourglass - forever - on a black
 background.

 Where on your site Trevor ?I looked around technopolis.ca/aixtp and I found
 lotsa good info, but I seem to have missed this bit....

 -Federico